Our decks have often served as an outdoor oasis: A place to relax, entertain, grill, and take a nap.
In these unusual times, our decks also provide a welcome break from the closed walls of indoors and stay-at-home orders. Here, we can soak up the sunshine and make something from the freezer taste delicious on the grill.
As we all think a little more creatively, we can also use our decks in new ways. Here are five unexpected ways to enjoy your deck.
- Play a game. Whether you’re dusting off an old board game or deck of cards or playing a game online, get outdoors for some fun. You can also play a board game through videoconference!
- Homeschool outdoors. Find educational projects to enjoy outside with your children. Create a nature journal with leaves and flowers you find in your yard. Try a science experiment or paint a canvas (with washable paint) — and hose off the deck boards when finished.
- Try a themed dinner. Host a picnic, luau, or barbecue for your family to enjoy. Decorate with whatever you have tucked away in storage. Families are having fun sharing their themed dinners on TikTok.
- Work from home. Take the laptop outside and get a change of scenery. Check out this blog for ideas on #WFH.
- Hold a drive-in movie. Whether you have an outdoor television, project on a screen or pull the family TV onto the deck, you can create a movie experience for the whole family. Make popcorn. Eat Skittles. Create cars from old cardboard boxes or totes — let the kids decorate them.
Staying at home can be challenging. Make memories whenever you can. Get fresh air and sunshine as much as possible!