One of the easiest and most economical ways to add more living space to a home is to build a deck. With the right plan, outdoor living space becomes a natural extension of the house and adds value when it comes time to sell.
The possibilities are endless, so where do you begin? Here are 7 ways to design that perfect outdoor living space:
- Consider the home’s flow.Where is the best place to add the deck? Where will homeowners naturally flow from indoor to outdoor living space?
- Make the space comfortable.If you’re staging a home to sell, be sure to place some furniture or a hammock on the deck to help the home buyers envision their lives there.
- Add amenities.If you create some protected spaces from the weather, you can add an outdoor kitchen, bar, fireplace, or entertainment system. These upgrades add a “wow” factor when it comes to selling the house.
- Add a splash of green. Make sure the landscaping complements the space so the homeowners can enjoy their views and gardens.
- Brighten up with lighting. Whether it’s strategically placed sconces, post or step lights, this addition can be both ornamental and functional.
- Elevate the shape of the space. Simply curving lines can make a deck feel more high-end.
- Don’t forget the space under a two-story deck.You can make the most of this often over-looked space by adding an under-deck drainage system and ceiling.
While you’re being thoughtful in your planning for outdoor spaces, don’t forget to protect this investment. Prevent water damage by using Trex Protect, a top-of-the-line non-skid, self-adhesive deck flashing tape. Trex Protect is designed to shield the tops of joists, rim joists, beams, and the ledger board from moisture that can lead to the development of rot and wood decay.
With the right design, homeowners will be delighted by the outdoor spaces you’ve built. With the right protection, those spaces will last for years to come.