You’ve been waiting all summer for this moment: Football season! The NFL kicks off this week with all the excitement of an end-zone celebration. You don’t want to miss the fun, so layer some nachos, chill some drinks and invite some friends over to watch the game on — or under — the deck.
While the weather holds, watching the game outside gives you more space and a naturally festive atmosphere for football. As the leaves turn gold and crimson around you, you’ll feel like you have your very own tailgate. Use your built-in entertainment system, rent a big-screen TV or use a projector setup for outdoor viewing.
That’s one of the benefits of finishing the space under your two-story deck. You get more livable outdoor space, and you can waterproof it, so it’s safe to add a built-in entertainment system, outdoor kitchen and lighting for all occasions.
If you’re building a new deck, be sure to check out the benefits of installing a deck drainage system such as Trex RainEscape. With a water diversion system in place, you can rest assured you have a safe, dry place to add an under-deck ceiling and all the amenities afforded by it.
Here for the Party
With an under-deck living space, you can score a touchdown with your football-watching party. Here are five ideas to add to the fun:
- Decorate in your favorite team’s colors — think plates, napkins, cups and balloons for an easy theme. You might also find party lights in those colors.
- Be sure to break out the corn hole for those long timeouts and commercial breaks.
- Set up food stations with all your football favorites — from nachos to chili.
- Ask everyone to wear a team jersey or a T-shirt in their team’s color.
- Check out more ideas from Signup Genius and Good Housekeeping.