As we all adjust to more time at home in light of COVID-19, many of us still are working. Working from home (#WFH) has never been more ubiquitous.
If the walls are closing in, get outdoors! Your deck can be the perfect extension of your office — and it can be good for you too.
Fresh air and sunshine are natural stress relievers — and a great cure for cabin fever. Now, more than ever, it’s a great time to think outside of the box when it comes to using your outdoor living spaces for work.
Here are 7 tips to make the most of working from home on your deck:
- Create a comfortable spot with your favorite chair and a lap desk or table.
- While you want to get some sunshine, pick a spot where you can easily view your screen without glare or buy a device with a glare-free screen.
- If your wifi connection isn’t strong on the deck, invest in a repeater/ booster/ extender.
- Buy a good headset with an easy-to-use mute function. You never know when the neighbor’s dog may spot a squirrel!
- Keep an umbrella handy on the deck for when you need a bit of shade.
- Create a schedule for yourself. Consider block scheduling your time to stay on track.
- When you need a break, walk around your yard for five minutes. Then get back to it! The Pomodoro Method suggests 25 minutes of focused work and 5 minutes of break every half hour to be most productive.
Enjoy your outdoor office, feel great, and get your reports in on time. It’s a win-win!