Builders, Don’t Miss these 12 Essential Pro Tips
When it comes to any construction project, you can do it the hard way or the best way. With these 12 pro tips, you can enjoy a more successful Trex RainEscape installation. This list of do’s and don’ts will make your life easier and your customers happier.
- Install with at least two people. The Trex RainEscape under-deck drainage system is more easily installed when one person can hold the trough, so it doesn’t roll up while another installs it. It’s much easier when one of your duos holds the trough taut and the other staples it into place.
- Follow all installation recommendations. Make all joists straight and square. Add outlets to the gutter every 12′ – 14′. Cover all joists and blocking with trough material, then tape with Trex RainEscape butyl tape.
- Acclimate the trough. If you’re in a climate with fluctuating temperatures, you’ll want to take this step, especially important when installing the black trough. Choose one of these two methods: fold a soft crease lengthwise down the center of the trough to relax the material or unroll it and let it sit for a while to get used to the temperature. For more installation tips, view this video.
- Add an access panel. The panel allows you to check the gutter without removing the soffit. While rainwater or a hose often does a sufficient job of keeping the gutters clear, there are times, such as in the case of a heavy leaf fall or an unusual amount of debris accumulation, that you may need to clean out with the access panel.
- Do NOT use any products that Trex RainEscape does not manufacture. Other tapes and caulks may not work well. Thus, we cannot warranty our product when lesser quality supplies are used. Trex products are butyl-based, and that is what gives them the ability to waterproof the system.
- Do NOT staple Trex RainEscape products anywhere other than into or over floor joists, ledger, rim joists, or headers.
- Do NOT put Trex RainEscape tape directly on the wood. Only put the Trex RainEscape butyl tape directly on the trough. The tape seals the troughs and makes them waterproof.
- Do NOT stand anywhere other than the top of the floor joists, ledger, rim joists, or headers. The Trex RainEscape system cannot support body weight.
- Do NOT use the wrong-sized tape. Thus, do not use Trex Protect joist tape in place of the Trex RainEscape 4” butyl-tape. It is not sized properly, and we cannot warranty that the trough will be waterproof.
- Do NOT use spiked hidden fasteners or any fastener without a flat base to provide pressure to butyl tape. Call a Trex RainEscape Specialist at 1-877-348-1385 for recommendations or send us an email here.
- Do NOT use nails to attach the deck boards above the Trex RainEscape system. For non-standard deck sizes or special features, please reference the installation guide or contact a Trex RainEscape Specialist.
- Do NOT overdrive double-thread screws.
View more tips in our installation videos.