Making the Case for RainEscape: Q&A with TrexPro Builder Zach Burnop, Owner of OnDeck Construction
TrexPro Platinum builders are the leading experts in Trex® products due to their expertise, on-the-job experience, and their ability to design and build outdoor spaces ranging from simple to complex seamlessly with Trex products. Zach Burnop, the owner of OnDeck Construction, which serves northeastern Tennessee and the western North Carolina region, is one of more than 350 TrexPro Platinum builders across the U.S. and Canada.
We recently checked in with him to learn more about why he recommends the Trex® RainEscape under-deck drainage system to all his clients, and what sets it apart from the other many deck drainage options on the market.
1. Why should homeowners consider Trex RainEscape for their deck? What benefits do they get from having a deck drainage system installed?
Trex RainEscape offers complete protection of the deck’s substructure, which will prolong both the life of the deck, as well as the homeowner’s investment in Trex decking. It also provides a dry space underneath the deck for added usability – whether for storage or for additional outdoor living space. And on top of all that, the homeowner gets absolute peace of mind when using their deck rain or shine, whether on the upper or lower level of the deck.
2. What would you say are the greatest benefits of the Trex RainEscape system to a builder and to a homeowner?
For the builder, the benefits of using RainEscape are the ease of installation and the warranty it provides the homeowner. The homeowner has the benefit of knowing the space underneath their deck will always be completely dry and fully protected from water penetration and deterioration so often seen with substructures of traditional wood decks.
3. Describe your experience installing RainEscape materials. Do you find the installation process easy or challenging? How long does installation typically take?
As a builder, I have installed many RainEscape systems, and the installation process is always very easy and fast. It typically takes about two days to complete the job.
4. What are the benefits of Trex RainEscape being an above joist deck drainage system?
It allows the homeowner to choose many different options to finish off the substructure underneath while maintaining a sleek, finished look. Once protected, th
e dry space below can be outfitted with everything from furniture and decorative accessories to lighting fixtures, ceiling fans, gas lines, and entertainment components.
5. How do homeowners react after seeing their finished deck with the dry, useable space below?
Homeowners are thrilled with the look of the product and know their deck is protected through and through from whatever the elements may bring for many years to come.