5 Uses for Your Under-Deck Outdoor Living Space that You’ll Love
Most American say they’d like to have more living space. In fact, according Trulia, “less than a third (32%) would choose a home the same size as the one they’re currently living in if they decided to move in a year.” One creative way homeowners are expanding is by using the space under their two-story deck.
If you want to see how much homeowners love their under-deck outdoor living space, visit Pinterest and search for “under-deck ideas.” The possibilities are endless — the only limits are your imagination.
To ensure you have usable, under-deck space, install an over-joist drainage system such as Trex RainEscape. With Trex RainEscape installed, you can also add a ceiling to create a finished look and dry usable space year round.
Here are five fun uses for your under-deck outdoor living space:
- The More the Merrier: Add a big screen TV, sound system, comfortable seating and a wet bar and you instantly expand your party space by finishing the area beneath your two-story deck. Add some party lights and your friends will never want to leave.
- Dinner for 2 — or 22? You can add a full outdoor kitchen or you might roll out a portable cart to your patio table and chairs for your next dinner party. Enjoy eating al fresco without having to worry about the forecast. Add some screening and you won’t even have to worry about the bugs.
- Let’s Play: Turn this bonus living space into a play area or playhouse for your children. Get creative with the design so it flows with the architecture of your home. When they’re too old for a playhouse, use it as extra storage for older kid toys such as bicycles, sports gear and kayaks.
- Game On! Bring on the poker table or chess set and have a family game night! Install an entertainment system and the neighbors’ kids will want to join you for Fortnight or Minecraft.
- Relaxation: Nothing beats a hot tub in the quiet, private space beneath your two-story deck. Make it your own weekend oasis. Add music, candles and flowers and foliage. Deep breaths.
For more inspiration, visit our photo gallery. Dream on!